Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Best Man is BEST for the Groom (Unfinished)

(My thoughts about my bestfriend's wedding)


Someday, perhaps the saddest but most lovable thing that could ever happen to you is when you are talking with your best friend a day before his wedding and then tells you...

"This could have been US if we weren't both men."


I never liked weddings. I have no fancy for this kinds of celebrations and I’m not a big fan of any type of ceremonial event. I don't feel the drama that most people feel. I don't have any care about grandiose church settings, the flowers that were used or the colors that were worn or even where the reception would be held.

People would always act all sappy the entire day. There are lots of hugs and kisses and fancy uncomfortable clothes. Congratulations all around! Let me toast the fact that you made it to your wedding day. I'll really be impressed if those couples actually stay married.

Let me make this clear. I don't hate people who have them. In fact, I am genuinely happy for the people being married when I attend a wedding, since as a general rule they are pretty happy about it.



I just hate the fact that someone like me would never be married in the same fashion like every "normal" couple would. And I cry buckets of tears whenever I recall how my "formerly gay" best friend got married....

Now normally I'm not a guy who will put someone down for wanting to spend their life with someone they love, But when my best friend told me that he decided to get married I froze and felt a hundred knives being pinned in my chest. It was a tragedy that I never expected to happen....



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is quite sad that we (homosexuals) have to move to another country just so we could marry the person we love because our country is too narrow minded to even consider rights like these.

If you do marry one day, I do hope it happens in the Philippines. Wouldn't that be nice?

the amateur ear said...

I love this post.

These lines:

Someday, perhaps the saddest but most lovable thing that could ever happen to you is when you are talking with your best friend a day before his wedding and then tells you...

"This could have been US if we weren't both men."


could be the brilliant opening of a good gay novel.